Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tracy's face


















"Why is life worth living? It's a very good question. Well, there are certain things I guess that make it worthwhile... like what... okay... for me... I would say... what, Groucho Marx, to name one thing... and Wilie Mays... and... the 2nd movement of the Jupiter Symphony... and... Louis Armstrong's recording of Potato Head Blues... Swedish movies, naturally... Sentimental Education by Flaubert... Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra... Those incredible apples and pears by Cezanne... The crabs at Sam Wo's... Tracy's face..."

When I first saw Woody Allen's Manhattan in my early teens I don't think I quite kept up with the dialogue. What made the biggest impression on me - and still does - was the smooth surfaces and angles of Tracy's face. Mariel Hemingway's voice, her calm composure and soft determination intrigues and compels me.

Beside the stunning photography I love all the womens outfits.
A steady hand has ruled that costume department.

No comments: